Since 1994, the Iowa Biotechnology Association (IowaBio) has provided benefits and services to promote the interests and growth of the life sciences industries in Iowa.
IowaBio is a non-profit, membership-based organization with a diversified membership including industry companies from all segments of biotechnology, universities & colleges, state & federal associations, as well as numerous service and support companies. The Association seeks to promote the success and growth of biotech-based businesses in Iowa.
The following Legislative Priorities reflect these aims:
IowaBio’s diverse members, from startups to international industry leaders, positively impact the Iowa economy and provide high-paying jobs to Iowa workers. To continue to provide a business climate where companies in these fast-growing industries can thrive, IowaBio members overwhelmingly support tax policy that is competitive, growth-oriented, simple/straightforward, permanent, predictable, certain, fair, and responsible. IowaBio supports targeted economic development programs that support Iowa’s specialized bioscience economy and draw investment into Iowa’s growing companies.
- IowaBio will take a lead role in coalition and advocacy efforts to advocate for bioscience-related tax credits and economic development programs such as the research activities tax credit, the renewable biochemical tax credit, and angel investor tax credits.
- IowaBio supports the Renewable Fuels Infrastructure Program and biofuels tax credits.
- IowaBio will support funding resources to enhance the State’s biotech ecosystem.
PHARMACEUTICALS AND PUBLIC HEALTH:
IowaBio member companies are some of the top innovators in the pharmaceutical development space. They provide invaluable impact on patient health and quality of life, as well as cutting-edge research and development and the ability to draw in public and private investment to Iowa.
- IowaBio will closely monitor and evaluate any anticipated legislation or regulations regarding the federal 340B Program, drug pricing and transparency.
- IowaBio supports co-pay accumulator legislation to benefit patients.
- IowaBio supports strong, science-based immunization policies and opposes additional exceptions to Iowa’s law requiring childhood vaccinations. IowaBio will strive to be a resource to the legislature and other stakeholders on Industry’s efforts to research and develop innovative vaccines and treatments for COVID-19 and other vaccine-preventable diseases, including vaccine dissemination, effectiveness, and safety.
- IowaBio supports biomarker testing, rare disease advisory council and non-medical switching/continuity of care legislation.
BIOSCIENCE TALENT PIPELINE:
IowaBio’s member companies care deeply about a robust talent pipeline and a strong workforce in STEM fields. One of IowaBio’s core purposes since its formation has been to foster Iowa’s vibrant, diverse talent pipeline. Through our support of STEM education, and our Future Biotech Leaders Fund, IowaBio creates meaningful partnerships in order to support students, teachers, schools, colleges, and universities through scholarships, stipends, programming and competitions that encourage and enrich STEM education.
- IowaBio supports legislation that funds and enhances STEM workforce attraction and retention programs including STEM internships, STEM Best, Future Ready Iowa, and Empower Rural Iowa.
IowaBio will closely monitor any legislation affecting intellectual property rights to ensure its member companies can continue to develop and protect their most important asset—their innovations.